Monday, May 3, 2010

In The Garden

Last week we spent our time digging in the garden, getting our veggies planted. The kids had fun playing with dirt, raking soil and making mud pies. This year we planted: cucumber's, cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, broccoli, pepper's, and strawberries. I really want to plant leafy greens.  I just wasn't prepared this year (but, next year I will be). Two weeks ago, I put my husband to work and he built me a long, narrow garden bed. It's a perfect spot with lot's of light. We've also had to put fencing around the bed to keep the dogs out.  Oh, how they love to dig!

If I could wave a magic wand, I would also have a lemon tree, an orange tree, an apple tree and a avocado tree. It would be my very own backyard, edible oasis.

I'll be posting more photo's as the garden begins to grow.

❤❤❤❤¸.•*¨*•☆Happy Growing☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤❤❤

1 comment:

NYDolphinette said...

Hey Melissa,
I was just being nosy and discovered you had this blog! I have a question for you about gardening. Do you ever do companion gardening? Planting certain combinations of plants together to ward off unwanted bugs and attract bugs that are helpful? Brian and I just bought a house, I have a yard again. Last weekend I just planted my veggie garden. This week I am hoping to get my herb garden done. But I have to weed, til the soil and map it out before I can plant.
Did you plant any edible flowers? You should try nasturtiums, they are so pretty and look great in a salad. They have a peppery flavor!

~Jeanette

PS. I wanted to ask you about your broccoli. How does it work for you. I tried planting it a few times and never had much luck. My plant got huge but I did not get a great harvest from it. :/