Monday, January 5, 2009

The Hub of my Home

Hub
n.
A center of activity or interest; a focal point.

The hub of my house is my work station. It sits directly in the middle of everything. To my left is my quaint little kitchen. Right behind me is the four person kitchen table where all of our meals take place. To my right is the family room/tv room/gathering room/playroom/art room. I'm surrounded by activity.

I secretly long for my own room with a big white desk and art work on the walls. I would decorate it with things that inspire me (photography, art, books, oddities and trinkets). It would be all mine and I wouldn't have to share my space. That is what I long for.

Instead, I have my own little station right here in the kitchen area. It's my little space and I've learned to block out the commotion around me when I'm working here. My haven, filled with a few things that I like to look at. I frequently cut out pictures that I find interesting and hang them on the wall in front of me. Usually this wall space is reserved for my daughters creations. My heart melts when she brings me one of her drawings. There are two owls on either side of my computer that I use as pen holders. I *heart* owls! There is a little Buddha statue/candle holder. It's very peaceful to look at. I have two small angles that were given to me my my SIL right after my diagnosis with breast cancer. It's a reminder to me that I am loved and that there is a higher power watching over me. Then, there's a movable robot from the movie, "Robots". His name is Fender and I just think he's adorable. These are just a few of my favorite things.

I really love my little place. It might not be my ideal setting but I'm surrounded by the things that are most important to me...... my family.


No comments: